Tapenade (olive pate)- vegan, gluten free


Couldn't resist adding it to some pink stripey beetroot pasta salad for the colour contrast!
Tapenade is a pate from Provence, France, which traditionally contains anchovies and capers (spicy little berries) as well as olives. ("Tapenade" comes from the Provencal word for capers.) In fact, it dates back to Roman times! Of course I wasn't going to put anchovies in, but I didn't feel like going out and buying capers either so I made this plainer version. It was great mixed in with salads and it was also a bit of a lunchbox star in sandwiches with slices of avocado. I added plenty of black pepper, but I'd love to try it with capers too, for that extra bit of va-va-voom, so that's what I'm going to do next time.

Makes a jar:
300g (drained weight) pitted black olives
a pinch of seasalt
1/3-1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
12 tsp compound hing
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tab lemon juice
  • Blend all the ingredients together (I put the olives in first.)
  • It will keep for at least two days in the fridge.
I love how quick and easy spreads and dips are, don't you? What's your favourite?




A more conventional use for tapenade, on crackers.






Comments

  1. ohgoodgolly I haven't had capers in ages! My mom is a huge caper fan...she loves using them in all sorts of things, including classic Sicilian caponata. Your tapenade looks crazydelicious, especially on that stripey pasta! This is just the kind of spread I like...savory and a little salty and yumful on just about anything. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wanted to make this, now will do. Looks perfect for crunchy bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you do, get the best quality olives you can find, not like my cheap ones- they give more flavour. And try out the capers too. Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts