Ekadasi Dosa with Coconut Chutney and Potato Sambar- vegan, gluten free



This dish manages to capture some contrasting textures and flavours despite the fact it is made from a limited selection of ingredients.
There's something so satisfying about dipping chunks of crispy-at-the-edges dosa into peppery sambar with soft chunks of potato and parsnip, and mopping up clouds of gingery sweet coconut chutney- when my husband gets inspired, he really gets inspired! This is what I came home to today, so despite the fact it is an Ekadasi (a no-grains fast, and often hard to do a day's work on the very limited fare) we managed to eat something other than jacket potato. Granted, I did roll up my sleeves and make the chutney, but the entire concept is my husband's. (How he got that dosa batter just right first time, I will never know...) This makes 6-8 dosas, with just about the right amount of sambar and chutney. Recipe below the picture:



Dosa batter:
100g roasted buckwheat (kasha), ground into flour
150g potato flour
320ml water approx.
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
  • Whisk the batter and let it stand while you make the sambar and chutney.
  • When the sambar and chutney are done, use a lightly-oiled frying pan to cook the thin, round dosas. Don't make them too big, as when the bottom is getting crispy, you're going to flip them like pancakes!
  • Tip: Whisk a little more water in before you pour the batter, as it thickens on standing.
Sambar:
150g potato and parsnip, diced small
150g courgette, diced small
300ml water approx.
1 tsp turmeric
10g grated fresh ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsps sunflower oil
  • Simmer the potato/ parsnip cubes in the water, spices and oil and when they are half cooked, add the courgette.
  • Continue to cook until the vegetables are nice and soft.
  • Serve hot with dosas.
Coconut Chutney:
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 roast buckwheat, ground into flour
about 1/2" of grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp seasalt
1 tab sunflower oil
1 tab lemon juice
water to mix
  • Grind about 2 tabs of the coconut into a fine powder and mix with water to a creamy consistency.
  • Stir-fry the ginger in the oil and add the buckwheat briefly before removing from the heat.
  • Add this to the creamy coconut, and throw in the desiccated coconut along with the salt and lemon juice. Voila!
Serve the dosas alongside little bowls of sambar and chutney (see below) and get dipping!




Comments

  1. I was caught on this comment as this is also my problem: a no-grains fast, and often hard to do a day's work on the very limited fare.

    I get reeeaaallly hungry, and the headache starts before noon and by 2pm it's splitting heavy. So that's why I fluctuate between following ekadasi and not.

    Do you have any tips on how to survive ekadasi while working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find that not doing the full fast until midday helps, and also keeping hydrated. Have breakfast, even if it's only a banana and a drink. I will then have a packed lunch of something like buckwheat flour scones/ Amisa buckwheat crackers/ ground nut and grated potato cakes and homemade peanut butter, a salad of olives, radish and cucumber, some fresh fruit and dates. On cold days I will have a cup of fruit tea (I found Aldi brand is okay on Ekadasi), otherwise water and lemon juice. My husband swears by chikki- made from gour and nuts; a bit like peanut brittle. It's a great boost, with both slow and fast releasing energy. In general, I find the best thing is to not have too many carbs in proportion to your protein intake. A day of surviving on crisps and other potato-y stuff without something like nuts as well always results in me feeling washed out, headachey and spaced out! Over the years I have dropped my feelings of guilt for not doing a nirjal fast for at least part of the day, and I'm just glad I can observe Ekadasi at all; so anything that helps me to keep it is a blessing. Hope this is useful for you- all the best :)

      Delete
  2. wow such an healthy dosa with buck wheat :) delicious platter !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts