Chickpea Mayo Salad- a great vegan sandwich filling

Add captionThis is awesome with salad in a wholemeal wrap or chapatti!
I have been seeing chickpea mayo salad recipes all over the net lately, so when Isachandra of Post Punk Kitchen posted hers last week, I was finally tempted to make my own version. What better way to fuel my last working week of the school term than having this delicious treat in my lunchbox? Luckily we have a big bag of organic yellow chickpeas and I had found a vinegar-free* eggless mayo in Holland and Barrett last Saturday (* Vinegar is not offerable to Krishna). I was good to go!

1 1/2 cups (1 cup = 250ml) cooked chickpeas
About 100ml vegan mayo (if you want to make your own, see here, otherwise you can buy it in most stores nowadays)
Half a red pepper, chopped very small (I have seen carrots and celery used here too)
2 level tabs yeast flakes (aka nutritional yeast)- this is in place of onion powder or a little kelp powder
1 tsp hing
seasalt and black pepper to taste
These amounts will make you at least 4 portions, depending on what you use it for.

  • Mash the chickpeas coarsely with a fork or potato masher- you want a little texture here.
  • Stir in all the other ingredients.
  • Keep refrigerated. This is also really good with jacket potatoes.





Comments

Popular Posts