Maple Drizzle Cake- vegan, sugar-free

I was given this rose-shaped mould at Christmas; it's just perfect for catching the syrup-y drips! 


On Saturday my husband was due home from his trip to India, and I really wanted to cook him something pretty for a treat; plus all three of the kids are celebrating some very good exam results.... so, a cake, right?- But not so fast: I have been suffering from stiff joints and general malaise this last few days as the result of straying from my normally vegan and low or no sugar diet into the realms of mithai (Indian sweets) made with milk and sugar, cheese, yoghurt and even some white chocolate. So no sugar or chocolate then, if I was to have any of it. (I also had to cater for another guest who will take dairy but not sugar.) So how to make a vegan and sugar-free cake without compromising on yumminess? Then I noticed the maple syrup in the cupboard and began to form a plan...


400g self-raising flour
4 tsps baking powder (not bicarbonate of soda)
100g xylitol
400ml soya milk
150ml peanut oil
100ml agave nectar
2 tsps vanilla essence
Maple drizzle frosting*:
75 ml maple syrup
1/4 tab carob powder
1/2 tab tahini  
* I actually made double the amount and poured it on the cake a second time once the first lot had been absorbed. The rest will make a great sauce for tofu icecream!
  • Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  • Mix the wet ingredients (including the agave nectar and the vanilla essence) in another bowl or jug.
  • Combine the wet and dry mixes and beat together for about a minute.
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 180C, in an oiled and floured/ dampened cake tin/ silicone mould about 8" in diameter, for 20-30 minutes, or until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  • Wait until cool, then turn out onto a pate or cake board.
  • Beat the drizzle frosting ingredients together. It might look slightly grainy because of the tahini, but just beat until any lumps are gone.
  • Pour over the cold cake and let it drip down the sides, or try pouring over the cake while it's still warm and it will absorb some of the stickiness.




Comments

  1. I LOVE that you're baking without sugar!! I can't bring myself to buy big bags of white sugar anymore but I have a lot to learn about other sweetners - this sounds delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog vth awesome recipes......but here its diff to find sum ings madam......nway wish u many more recipes..thank u..
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maha, glad you like my blog. I'm aware that a lot of my ingredients are hard to find outside of the UK and the USA, and I am lucky to live in a city where I can choose from many different culinary traditions for my foods. I try to make a variety of dishes, not all of them containing ingredients that are hard to find. Maybe I could suggest substitutes as part of my posts in future?

      Delete
  3. If you can't get xylitol or maple syrup, try normal cane sugar and a syrup you can get locally (mulberry, etc. depending on where you live)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts