Beetroot, celery, apple and ginger juice

I'd run out of fresh ginger :( but added 1 tsp of powdered for the flavour...

...The promise of a more energised you in just a couple of minutes!

I woke up this morning (15.2.12) feeling dreadful! Not only was I tired from a busy day yesterday, but I had strayed from my usual diet (I try to avoid yeasted bread, dairy and sugar) and I paid for it by feeling stiff, achey and slightly wheezy plus my nose was blocked. This might be the sort of thing that you could get used to in a busy middle-aged woman's body, but now that I have found the foods that suit me best and those that I need to avoid, I am not used to this sluggishness. I like to feel energised and nourished- I need to, with the hectic life I live. Fortunately, I do enjoy the taste and feel of healthy foods just as much as cheese baguettes or sugary cake and chocolate, so today I have set about redressing the balance with a breakfast of hot fruit salad topped with tahini and have drunk plenty of good old plain fresh water. My next fix is this amazing juice tonic. The ingredients never fail to make me feel refreshed and rejuvenated. Time to dust off that juicer...


1 small beetroot
1 apple
2 sticks of celery, leaves and all
1 lemon
1 piece of fresh ginger, about the size of the top part of your thumb

  • Chop the fruit and veg into pieces small enough for your juicer to cope with.
  • Juice
  • Drink as soon as possible to get the maximum health benefit. You may want to dilute the juice with water if you are not used to fresh juices, but I prefer it neat.
I just threw this combination of ingredients together several years ago going on instinct and what was in my fridge at the time; I looked up their properties later: the beetroot is a general tonic/ cleanser and great for stiff joints/ arthritis, lowering blood pressure and is high in iron. Celery juice is diuretic and a good kidney and liver cleanser, and ginger juice is good for the immune system plus it prevents nausea and stiff joints. The apple juice has antioxidants, vitamin C and is a good source of natural fruit sugar (fructose) for energy. Lemon juice is a tonic for the liver, aids digestion, and is of course also full of vitamin C. So quite a potent combo! -And I'm glad to say that it did the trick :)
For some more juicing ideas, try here.

Comments

Popular Posts